Things to Keep in Mind When Creating a Character
Please read the first section of the site FAQ for information what exactly the various terms on this page mean, as well as notes on character slots and submission guidelines that may be of interest to you.
- No Exceptions
No Characters may engage in incest, RAPE or pedophilia or ANY form of sexual abuse, including bestiality or necrophilia -- this will result in an IMMEDIATE BAN from the site, no questions asked.
Things to Keep in Mind
- Striking Looks
Not banned or restricted, but understand that in taking it, you're asking for a tremendous amount of attention, and a lot of it negative. Be beautiful, but be prepared for the consequences. Also, include a description of the type of beauty your character holds: ie. "Striking Looks 2 (Innocence, Roguish, Noble, Seductive, Exotic, Refined, etc.)"
- Characters created with over 160XP
Save for in very very rare and specific circumstances, the site limit for character creation is 160XP. If you have a wish or need to make a character with XP higher then that, please contact the Head Storyteller of your game and run your idea by them.
- We do not currently have a restriction on the number of characters you're able to play - we do, however, have some restrictions in place within the various systems as to the types of characters. In general, you're unable to possess multiple characters within the same power structures - that is, you can't have more than one character per covenant, order, etc. This also means you can't have two characters on the same ruling council. If you're unsure if your characters will violate this rule, speak with a Storyteller or Narrator.
You may take flaws. You will be expected to roleplay it consistently. XP will be awarded if your Flaw truly was an obstacle for you.
- Child Flaw
Unless you have permission (and a good story) all characters must be (and appear to be) 17 and above.
- Fighting merits above 2 unless your concept supports it (e.g., professional boxers, martial artists, police)
Those who aren't professional fighters can get the first two dots without it counting as a restricted. The first dot of a fighting style should represent an enthusiast who trains weekly, while two dots would be an active hobbyist who trains a few times a week.
- Unseen Sense
- Eidetic Memory
- Brawl 4+
- Fame 3+
- ANY Attribute at 5
- ANY Skill at 5
Yes, this can be circumnavigated by buying Specializations in that Skill.
- Raised Blood Potency, Primal Urge, Gnosis
- Silver weapons
Vampire the Requiem Specific
Age and Experience
- No Elders will be Approved for new writers. They are a reward for good roleplay, not a privilege for every Joe Schmo. Players may only have two ancillae (or, in rare case, one elder and one ancillae): all other vampires must be neonates.
- Neonates: (0-50 years dead and BP1), they will be 40 xp for instant-play, 60xp maximum
- Ancilla: (50-200 years dead, or BP2+), they will be 41-160xp.
- Elders: (201+ years dead), they will be 161-300 to 350xp. [RARE]
- Unusual ghouls, such as a hellhound or mandragora
- Having sire as part of a bloodline
- The following bloodlines: Qedeshah, Khaibit, Nelpsi, Mortifiers of the Flesh, Rakshasa, Gethemani, Morbus, Burakumin, Mara, Morotrophians, Asnam, Childer of Judas, Zelani, Melissdae, Annanaku
- Red Surrender
- The following bloodlines: The Carnival, Oberlochs, Moroi
- Two characters in the same covenant
- Independent/Rogue Ghouls are restricted
- Sexualized is banned
Werewolf the Forsaken Specific
- Auspice Choirs as Pack Totems
- Pure PC's
- Bale Hound PC's
- Two characters in the same pack
Mage the Awakening Specific
Experience and Characters
- There will be no instant-play characters for the mage game; that includes Mage's, Sleepwalker's, and Proximi
- While all submission will be looked at, under 80XP is very much preferred and over that is heavily restricted. Players new to the site are hard capped at 60 and the hard maximum for everyone is 120.
- Multiple characters in the same Order are heavily restricted; multiple characters in the same cabal are banned.
- Gnosis 2 or higher
- Characters with more than 40 xp to start
- Starting play in a legacy
- Any Arcana over 3
- Any of the traditions from Magical Traditions
- The Daimon, Dream, Whispers, and Thrall Merits (for the Thrall, you must have it worked out with another player character)
- Multiple characters in a single Order; we allow you to play as many character of a single path or even Apostates as you wish (within your character limits), but are more wary of multiple members of the same Order
- Any of the Traditions from Magical Traditions
- Abyssal Magic from the Tome of Mysteries
- Characters with more than 80 xp to start
- Starting as a member of a legacy that does not match your order
- Left Handed Legacies
- Out of Path/Legacy Adepts
- Membership in any Scelesti legacy. Currently, this includes: Scelesti (Core) and Legion (Summoners).
- The Destiny, Predator’s Innocence and Potent Familiar Merits
- Order or Consillium Status. We aren't using them. Status is mortal organizations is still valid.
- Player Character Banishers, Seers of the Throne, or users of Abyssal Magic (from Tome of Mysteries)
- Illuminated Proximi
- Multiple characters in a single cabal
- The fifth dot of the Adamant Hand fighting style.
- The derangement Multiple Personality Disorder
Sleepwalkers and Proximi
- The errata version of the Sleepwalker merit is used: one can take the merit in the book now costs three merit points, or one can take the four dot merit that has all that's included in the book plus Unseen Sense: Mages
- Only one Proximi per player, and they must be created with less then 40XP
- Please see this post for more information about playing Proximi
Changeling the Lost Specific
Experience and Characters
- Players may only have two mid-level changelings (or, in rare case, one very experienced/elder changeling and one mid-level changeling); all other changelings must be 'fresh from the hedge'/inexperienced
- inexperienced Changelings can have up to Wyrd 2, and are to be made with up to 40XP
- Mid-level Changelings can have up to Wyrd 5, are to be made with up to 100XP
- Very Experienced Changelings can have up to Wyrd 6 (Frailty a must if Wyrd 6 is chosen), and are to be made with up to 160XP [RARE]
- Multiple characters of the same Kith or Court are banned
- The dual-kith rules from Winter Masques are used, and are allowable at Wyrd 4+
- Each character starts with Hedgespun Clothing: then each character can have one more token, while an Entitled character can have their clothing plus two other tokens
- Any merit, flaw, kith, and contract from a book outside of the Corebook
- Goblin Vow (please speak to the Changeling ST to work out the details before submitting your character)
- Non-Seasonal Courts
- Loyalist or Privateer player characters
- Functional Multiple Personality Disorder
- The latter three contracts of Contracts of Goblin Transformation (Healing Sacrifice and Seven-Year Gift are just restricted)
- More then two dots in the Hollow merit at creation (and of those two dots, one must go to hollow size and the other hollow amenities)
Hunter the Vigil Specific
Experience and Characters
- Only one Hunter per player
- Tier One Hunters made with up to 40XP are allowed
- Tier Two Hunters, and Tier One Hunters made with 41 to 100XP are restricted
- Tier Three Hunters and any character with over 101XP are heavily restricted
- Hunters with other lesser templates/merits on them (ie: no psychic Hunters, or wolfblooded Hunters)
- Custom designed endowments
Mortal/Second Sight Specific
- Note: New members to the site are only allowed to submit a beginning level character, up to 40 XP.
- Note: There are no "instaplay" characters in the mortal venue. All characters are required to undergo the submission process.
Experience and Characters
- Most mortals will fall between 0 and 70 XP
- Mortals with 100+ XP are rare
- Police officers should strive to meet the minimum requirements as suggested in Tales of the 13th Precinct, on page 81
- Experienced players wishing to play NPCs such as City Council members, top law enforcement, etc. contact the Mortal ST
- Crime characters are allowed and encouraged. Please check with an ST for current crime organizations active in San Francisco. Not all crime organizations are created equally, meaning status in one organization might not carry as much weight as status in another.
- Status is required for law enforcement and medical characters
- Thaumaturge characters: Use the creation process as suggested, with the free defining Merit determined by your Tradition.
- 41 to 100 XP characters are restricted
- 101+ XP mortals are heavily restricted
- Psychics, no matter the power level. We would simply like to review the sheet before the character sees play.
- Mental Blast
- Mind Breaker
- Telekinesis at 3 dots or higher
- Mind Reading at 4 or higher: Not so much a restriction as a warning--if you have mind reading this high and decide to read the minds of supernaturals, be aware that your character could die. Supers like to keep their secrets.
- Possessed characters (as described in Inferno) - these are highly restricted templates and will only be open to trustworthy players. New players to the site are banned from playing the Possessed. Stick around, write with us, treat your fellow players with respect, then contact me with your interest. Furthermore, I reserve the right to deny any concept or Vestments based on how that will affect other venues on this site and the fun and involvement of other players.
- Possessed characters are limited to 60 XP at creation.
- Immortals - I will take these characters on a case by case basis. I reserve the right to nix any concepts or ideas based on how it will affect the other venues and the fun and involvement of other players. New players, as with the Possessed, are banned from playing Immortals. Only those players who have built up a solid site relationship will be allowed to play an Immortal concept. Furthermore, Purified Immortals are banned.
- Immortal characters are limited to 60 XP at creation.
- Hybrids - Sleepwalker/Psychic or Wolfblood/Psychic are highly restricted
- Mortals with 5 in any attribute are highly restricted; Skills of 5 are restricted, but allowed with a solid background
- Status 3 or higher in any Crime Organization
- Pyrokinesis (and by extension, 'Pyrokenetic Immunity' & 'Pyrokinetic Shaping')
- Instaplay Possessed - All possessed characters must go through the approval process.
- Instaplay Immortal - All Immortals must go through the approval process.
- Purified Immortals
- Multiple Personality Disorder